It’s time to step away from the box “recipe” and enjoy this delicious mac and cheese dish requested by both adults and children.
We were lucky enough to get the recipe from our own partners, Amsterdam Cheese and Liquor Store, where they have the most amazing selection of dutch cheese in the Island. It’s a little piece of Holland in the middle of the Caribbean and we promise this mac and cheese recipe will get you hooked!
- 4 cups of pasta
- 1 cup of cream (heavy cream, cooking cream, light cream)
- seasoning to taste (i used black pepper and Italian herbs. Try to avoid salt, as the cheese usually has enough salt in it)
- 1 cup of grated young Gouda (any easy-to-melt cheese is good here)
- 2 cups of grated flavored or aged cheese
- Boil the pasta 2 minutes less than indicated on the pack. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Add cream and seasoning and stir well
- Add young Gouda and mix
- Put mixture in baking dish.
- Top with extra flavored cheese
- Put in preheated oven (250 C or 500 F) for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted
These are all approximate amounts, and can be changed to your liking. Feel free to add in anything else as well (Mushrooms / bacon / other cheese / corn or diced carrots , etc).
Enjoy and feel free to comment or send us a picture of your recipe!
Fun fact- Mac and Cheese was invited in England in 14th century, not United States. The chef of Thomas Jefferson encountered macaroni in Paris and brought the recipe back to Virginia.